Pothole repairs COMPLETED!
I-696 Project Information: Restore the Reuther!
696 Oakland County
- EB & WB I-696 from I-275 to Dequindre Rd
- Pavement repairs in both directions
- Drainage system repairs
- Minor bridge repairs at Rouge River and Plaza structures
- All lanes open weekday daytime hours
- 10 weekend closures with detours.
696 Macomb County
- EB & WB I-696 from Dequindre Rd to I-94
- Replace all pavement
- WB direction always closed
- EB always open
- EB traffic will shift onto completed WB lanes in Phase II of the project (July)
- Limited exit ramps open for EB traffic and all access to EB I-696 is closed
- Repair service drives from Couzens Road to I-94 in 2019
- Detour: WB I-94 towards Detroit, to NB I-75 to WB I-696.
The I-696 “Walter P. Reuther Freeway” carries approximately 150,000 vehicles a day through Macomb County. Its poor condition requires major reconstruction to replace the concrete from Dequindre Rd to I-94, both eastbound and westbound, spring through late 2018. The bridges over I-696 are in good to fair condition due to investments in rehabilitation and maintenance-type work over the years and will receive additional maintenance work.
In Oakland County on I-696 from I-275 to Dequindre Rd in both directions, repairs and maintenance work will take place during nights and weekends, including up to 10 weekend closures at various locations.
This expedited $110 million project must be completed while funding is available and before the nearby I-75 modernization project begins near I-696, which is planned for 2019. If delayed, it may be 2024 before the work could be performed, and only if funding would be available.
April 4, 2018, 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM
Southfield City Council Chambers, 26000 Evergreen Road, Southfield MI
April 11, 2018, 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM
Warren City Hall, 1 City Square, Warren MI
Accommodations can be made for persons with disabilities and limited English-speaking ability. Large print materials, auxiliary aids or the services of interpreters, signers, or readers available upon request at 517-373-9534.
Macomb County: Dequindre Rd to I-94
EB always OPEN. WB always CLOSED.
Oakland County: Dequindre Rd to I-275
Night & weekend lane closures.
Up to 10 complete weekend closures with detours.